Friday, January 15, 2010

How walkable is your neighborhood?

This application calculates and "walkability" score for any address you put in. Essentially, it calculates distances from the address to a list of possible services and amenities. Of course, the scores are only as good as the quality of the data. When I put in my address, for example, it claimed that the nearest park was 2.4 miles away, and it is "Citrus Park Drive" -- which of course is not a park at all, but a busy road leading to a shopping mall. But it's still fun to do. Here's the url:

www.walkscore.com

www.walkscore.com

1 comment:

  1. http://www.walkscore.com/get-score.php?street=12202+N.+22nd+st+apt+423,+Tampa,+FL+33612&go=Go

    Well I checked my score and my address was "very walkable". It was 75% and the average Tampa score was 60%. I see that the closest grocery store is .28 miles away from me. which sounds great and close.
    However I don't really see myself walking around to the places that it recommended. My neighborhood is not safe to walk around. I hear the police sirens everyday and Gunshots. at some places that were described on the walk Score does not have a side walk for me to walk to the grocery store. Even if I walk to the closest grocery store, I always think about the economic value that I will be gaining. It is cheaper to drive to walmart or Aldi about one mile away and save on my grocery lists. Therefore, walking is not always that efficient to people.

    ReplyDelete